Thursday, March 3, 2011

Canine Good Citizen

I've decided Roxy and I are going to work towards her Canine Good Citizen Certification.

There, I said it. I can't take it back now.

We have a long way to go still, but I think it will up the ante with her training and bring her to a whole new level. I have no idea how long it will take. I can't put a timeline on her fear. But I would really like to make sure this happens.

This is what we need to work on in order to pass the CGC exam, in no particular order:
  1. transition from the halti head collar to a flat or martingale collar with no pulling
  2. practice meeting strangers and staying in the sit position
  3. practice being handled by a stranger, including ears, paws, grooming
  4. practice meeting strangers with dogs and ignoring them - preference for sitting nicely at my side
  5. practice being left alone with a stranger (3 minutes)
  6. work on our distance stay with a long lead (20 feet)
  7. continue to meet lots of new people
  8. continue to walk in public places
I'm up for the challenge.  I hope Roxy is also.

Who am I kidding... if there's a chance for her to work and earn treats, then she's up for the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment