Saturday, March 26, 2011

changing minds

So, yesterday I posted about a conversation I had with someone in rescue.  The conversation started out with an individual who was looking for help with his dog's behavior.  He mentioned that he's been using alpha/dominance techniques and it seems to be working on his dog's behavior, and he was hoping his dog was "getting the point" so he could deal with the leash aggression issues he was having.

So I posted a bunch of links about the alpha/dominance fallacy and how there are different methods that can help without making the situation worse. Then I got into it with someone else in the rescue because she thought her opinion was more valuable than science...

But anyway, on to the victory.  I emailed the person whose original post it was, and was essentially able to tell him about his dog's behavioral issues, how the dog escalates, and how leash corrections could actually make the problem much worse.   He said my posts were very helpful and informative and made him think more about his dog's behavior.  He said his dog acts exactly as I described, and he just wants to get the behavior under control so his dog is happier and everyone is safe. 

So I recommended "Click to Calm:  Healing the Aggressive Dog" by Emma Parsons and showed him a few videos of the methods in action, and he went online and bought the book and can't wait to get to work.

It's a small victory, but a victory nonetheless.  I'm looking forward to hearing about his progress and the progress his dog makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment